This week, for our #NicaBakeOff challenge, we decided to test out one of Mary Berry’s very own recipes, as we opted for a delicious chocolate roulade. - And with great success, as it tasted delicious!
We followed the recipe from BBC Food, and here’s how you can make your own:
175g finely chopped dark chocolate
6 free-range eggs
175g caster sugar
2tbsp cocoa powder
300ml double cream
Sprinkle of icing sugar
Step by Step
1) Pre-heat oven to gas mark 6
2) Grease the inside of a 33cm by 23cm swiss roll tin and cover with some
3) Simmer some water in a pan,
and place a bowl over the top without touching the water in which you melt the
4) Whisk the egg whites in a bowl until stiff but not dry. If you turn the bowl upside down, they shouldn’t fall out!
5) In another bowl, whisk the egg yolks with the sugar until thick and creamy.
6) Gently fold the melted chocolate into the whisked egg yolk mixture.
7) Gently stir 2 large spoonfuls of egg whites into the chocolate mixture, then, fold in the remaining egg whites with a metal spoon.
8) Sift the cocoa powder over the mixture and fold in.
9) Pour the mixture into the tin and bake for 20-25 minutes until firm.
10) When the cake is cool, lay down a piece of greaseproof paper on the table, dust slightly with icing sugar, and put the roulade on top.
11) Whip the cream until it holds shape and spread onto the cake leaving a 2cm boarder around the edges.
12) Roll up the cake to form the roulade shape.
13) Finish with a gentle dusting of icing sugar.
Then, all’s that's left to do, is sit down and enjoy a slice with a cup of tea! Have you been getting into the #GBBO spirit?
If so, why not drop us a comment below and let us know what you’ve been baking? Or, why not share your baking photos with us @Nica_Handbags on Twitter or @nicahandbags on Instagram?