Tuesday 23 July 2013

Behind the Nica Bag: Nostalgic Retro Chic

"Fashion fades, only style remains the same."

- Coco Chanel, 1930


Photo by Melvin Sokolsky. Paris.1963


I have to say that I am very fond of, or perhaps more fittingly, I get childishly delighted by all things things old, and that's even despite the fact that whilst growing up in my own country, I was scarcely presented with opportunities that allowed me to appreciate the concept of vintage or retro fashion. 

Since embarking upon my career in the fashion world, coupled with meeting a variety of vintage-seeking connoisseurs in London, I have however come to be extremely fascinated by the vintage trend.The city of London is awash with the swirls of vintage and retro fashion, and I've had so much fun playing with the trends which it creates. My most recent vintage musing has to be the fabulously crafted film The Great Gatsby, which was based on Mr. Fitzgerald’s much acclaimed novel! Very inspirational! :-) 



Lili Damita, French actress, 1925

Fashion simply couldn't exist without fashion photography. In other words, vintage fashion is still alive in fashion photography! Whenever I see inspiring vintage fashion photo prints, I am utterly captivated, as it's as if they've managed to freeze the timelessly chic traits of each era's fashion scene and styles in time. 



Above (All): Crochet handbag collection c. 1940


A little tote made of bamboo C. 1940


Copyright © Norman Parkinson Limited/Courtesy Norman Parkinson Archive

Norman Parkinson was one of my favourite Fashion Photographers, who defined a new style of photography that was more informal and full of life and movement. Stemming from the 1950s and throughout the rest of his 50 years career, he pioneered a more relaxed and unstructured feel to fashion photography, replacing the static posed studio-based approach.


Copyright © Norman Parkinson Limited/Courtesy Norman Parkinson Archive

Look at his iconic shots of Audrey Hepburn sporting a lovely soft pink Fifties New Look! I have so much admiration for this image that it even inspired some of my S/S 13 collection. 


Copyright © Norman Parkinson Limited/Courtesy Norman Parkinson Archive

We are inspired by so many varied retro styles, silhouettes, and looks present in vintage fashion photography. What is your favourite retro fashion scene?



Photo by Nina Leen, c. 1950s for the LIFE magazine



Love Nica Kim xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment